Here’s how to enable instant message (IM) notifications in System Center 2012 Operations Manager
1. Install the Unified Communications Managed API 3.0 (UCMA) Runtime on all management servers in the Notifications Resource Pool. By default, this pool contains the first and all additional management servers in the management group (gateway servers are not included).
-Download the UCMA runtime at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20958.
-After installation, visit Microsoft Updates several times as needed. Updates for Unified Communications
Managed API 3.0 include KB2500448, KB2500449, and KB2568557; these should be detected by Microsoft Updates.
2. If you do not have an OpsMgr notification action account (NAA), create one using a domain user account. The NAA does not require an Exchange mailbox, but does require a regular Active Directory (AD) user account.
3. Log on to the Lync server, as a user that has the right to Lync-enable domain users, and run the Lync Control Panel to enable the NAA AD user account for Lync. To enable the NAA account, perform the following steps:
-Click on the Users button in the left navigation panel.
-Click the Enable users task just below the search panel.
-Click the Add button on the right side of the Users list.
-Using the search and find commands, locate and select the user to enable. Click OK.
-In the Assign users to a pool field, click the drop-down arrow on the right and select the name of a Lync standard server or Lync enterprise front end pool. The Lync server(s) must be in the same domain, or a trusted domain, of the OpsMgr management servers.
-Click the Enable button at the top of the form.
As an alternative to using the Lync Control panel, consider the following command line for use in the Lync Server Management Shell:
Enable-CsUser –Identity “
4. Log on to the computer running the OpsMgr console with a user account that is a member of the Operations Manager Administrator role.
5. Create a Run As account in OpsMgr that contains the AD account of the NAA. Follow these steps:
-Navigate in the OpsMgr console to the Administration –> Run As Configuration -> Run As Account, right-click, and select Create Run As Account.
-Select the default Run As type of Windows, type the name Notification Action Account for the Display name, and click Next.
-Enter the credential information for the NAA domain account, and click Next.
-At the Select a distribution security option, select the default More Secure and push Create.
6. Distribute the Run As Account credentials to your management servers:
-Select the Run As Account you just created in the Account -> Windows list, right-click, and select Properties.
-On the Distribution tab, push the Add button.
-Locate and add the Windows computer object of each of the management servers. When all management servers are listed, push the Add button.
7. Associate the Run As Account with the Notification Account Profile:
-Navigate in the OpsMgr console to the Administration –> Run As Configuration -> Profiles, and double-click on the Notification Account.
-Advance through the wizard to the Add Run As Accounts page, and push the Add button.
-Locate and select the NAA Run As Account by the name you previously typed, such as Notification Action Account.
-Leave the default All targeted objects setting and click OK.
8. In the Operations console, click Administration. In the navigation pane, under Notifications, right-click Channels. Click New channel, and then point to Instant Message (IM).
9. Type a name for the channel, such as IM channel and optionally provide a description. Click Next.
10. In the IM server box, type the FQDN of a Lync 2010 Standard server or a Lync 2010 Enterprise Front End Pool. The Lync server(s) must be in the same domain, or a trusted domain, of the OpsMgr management servers.
11. Type the Return Address that should appear on instant message notifications. Preface the address with sip:. In the Protocol option list, select TLS (Transport Layer Security) as the protocol used to send the instant messages. In the Authentication method list, select NTLM as the authentication method for users. In the IM port box, the instant messaging port of 5061 is entered. Click Next.
The return address should be a dedicated address that is used only for Operations Manager notifications, such as the Notification Action Account (NAA).
12. In the Default instant messaging notification format area, in the IM message box, specify the text that is sent to notification subscribers. The IM message box contains a default message that includes text and variables. You can edit the default message or delete it and replace it with another message.
The right arrow next to the IM message box displays a list of variables that you can add to the message. If you select a variable, it is appended to the end of your current IM message with no spaces or explanatory text. Consider including the Source and Web Console Link variables to your IM text to increase the actionable IM content.
13. In the Encoding box, select the text format that your IM server and notification subscribers use for transmission. By default, Unicode (UTF-8) is used. Click the arrow to view the entire list of available formatting.
14. Click Finish and then click Close to return to the Operations console.
Final activities that cause alerts to be delivered as IMs to selected recipients :
-Create a Notification Subscriber of the Instant Message (IM) type.
-Create a Notification Subscription that associates a subscriber with some or all alerts to be relayed as IMs.
-An alert condition occurs that is in scope for an IM-enabled Notification Subscription.
Tag CloudAIS App-V App-V 5.0 Application Virtualization AppLocker Asset Inventory Service Beta Business Colation Type Deployment effectual design effectual IT Enterprise Exchange 2010 Exchange 2010 SP2 IT IT Professionals MDOP MDT MDT 2012 Microsoft Microsoft Certification Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack Microsoft Desktop Virtualization Microsoft Online Services Microsoft SCCM 2012 Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SCCM 2012 Springboard Springboard Series SQL Server 2012 System Center System Center Configuration Manager 2012 System Center Operations Manager 2012 System Center SP1 UE-V User Experience Virtualization VDI Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Virtualization Windows 7 Windows 8